[icq-devel] sample code

Remy Lebeau gambit47 at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 30 06:27:40 CEST 2003

--- "Thomas J. Clancy" <tjclancy at comcast.net> wrote:

> I am playing around with the ICQ API after
> having downloaded it.  All is working well, but
> I was wondering if there was also sample code
> somewhere that comes with it?  I didn’t see any
> in the zip I got.

ICQ does not provide its own sample code.  You'll just
have to look around for third-party code.  However,
ICQ API programming is pretty rare to come across
nowadays, only a handful of people actually did
anything public with it, and I haven't seen or heard
anyone releasing any new addon utilities in a long
time that use it.

> Also, for Windows GUI developers, is there an
> easy way to actually manipulate the ICQ GUI so
> that I could put a button or perhaps a menu item
> in it somehow?

The ICQ API has no concept of the GUI, other than to
return the HWND of the contacts list (and even then,
it does not support multiple instances running).  It
was not designed for what you ask.  It only provides
for rudamentary information from the contacts list,
and basic notifications of when the contacts list
changes.  Nothing else.  You'll just have to do what
every other third-party addon does - resort to working
with the Win32 API directly in order to manipulate the
ICQ windows, menus, etc manually at the Win32 API
level, not the ICQ level.

Gambit