[icq-devel] .CHT -> Text conversion or player?

Ryan Underwood nemesis-lists at icequake.net
Wed Nov 12 03:08:48 CET 2003

Hi,

On Tue, Nov 11, 2003 at 02:58:56PM -0800, Remy Lebeau wrote:

> Sorry, I only support Windows with my programming.  Even if I did distribute
> the source code, it wouldn't be much use for you as it uses Windows-specific
> libraries and APIs for its parsing.  So you'd end up writing your own code
> anyway.

Eh, well, minimizing duplication of effort is the only thing I am
concerned with.  You don't have to support it, as much as _allow_ it. ;)

> So far, you're the only non-Windows user to approach me with this feature.

I'm surprised... it could be considered a "migration" tool after all,
converting some proprietary format into a commonly accessible one.

> In the meantime, if you want to go head and start writing your own code, you
> can contact me directly if you have any questions about how to implementing
> the spec or with handling any of the chat data.  My contact info is on my
> website.  What language do you program in?  I code in C/C++ primarily.

Many, but it depends on the task.   I'd use Perl, but perl isn't great
for binary parsing.  So in this case, I would probably defer to C.  This
isn't exactly a high priority so it'll probably get shifted onto my todo
list instead.

thanks,

--
Ryan Underwood, <nemesis at icequake.net>