[icq-devel] .CHT -> Text conversion or player?

Remy Lebeau icq_devel at lebeausoftware.org
Tue Nov 11 23:58:56 CET 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ryan Underwood" <nemesis-lists at icequake.net>
To: <icq-devel at blipp.com>
Sent: Tuesday, November 11, 2003 2:16 PM
Subject: Re: [icq-devel] .CHT -> Text conversion or player?

> Do you have his code anywhere?

No, I do not, sorry.  I was never privvy to his actual code, I was only
given final executables for testing.  But I don't have those available
anymore, either.  Nor have I been in contact with him for a long time.

> Is the source code available for the program?

No.  Only the spec is available, which focuses on the protocol only, so
portable implementations can be made as needed.

> I don't run Windows. :(

Sorry, I only support Windows with my programming.  Even if I did distribute
the source code, it wouldn't be much use for you as it uses Windows-specific
libraries and APIs for its parsing.  So you'd end up writing your own code
anyway.

So far, you're the only non-Windows user to approach me with this feature.
After I implement exporting capabilities into my player (which I'll probably
be doing later tonight, since I've had many requests for it and feel its
time to add it in), then I may consider re-writing the parsing code into a
more portable codebase for distribution, but that is not a high priority for
me at this point.  I will have to re-write the parsing code in order to
support the new export feature (so I can re-use the same code for multiple
operations, which the current codebase is not set up for), so I'll keep
portability in mind when I write the new code.

In the meantime, if you want to go head and start writing your own code, you
can contact me directly if you have any questions about how to implementing
the spec or with handling any of the chat data.  My contact info is on my
website.  What language do you program in?  I code in C/C++ primarily.

Gambit