[icq-devel] Message type

Remy Lebeau gambit47 at yahoo.com
Tue May 27 04:58:15 CEST 2003

--- Rüdiger Kuhlmann
<icq-list-oWUpAQCWC2r4 at ruediger-kuhlmann.de> wrote:

> Y'know, you claim to be a webmaster for 5 years,
> but can't figure out why it doesn't work.

I never said I couldn't figure it out.  I just haven't
had a chance to dig into it yet.  I never use CSS for
my own sites, I haven't had to deal with them in a
long while.  See futher below ...

> Then, someone claims it's because of line endings.
> Of course there's only a CR at the end of the line,
> because that's how its supposed to be.

Actually, according to CSS1, '\r' (CR) is not a valid
white-space character for CSS.  Only ' ' (space), '\t'
(tab), and '\n' (LF) are recognized by CSS1, thus the
correct end-of-line character would be '\n' (LF), not
'\r' (CR) as your file is using.  That would explain
why it worked correctly with IE once LF was added to
your file.  IE was probably being nice enough to
ignore the CR in the CRLF pair without erroring.

> No ^M at the end of each line. But CSS is white-
> space agnostic

Wrong.  CSS has a very defined set of characters it
considers white-space.  See above.

> so if IE would choke on that, it would be even
> more embarrasing.

That's the life story of Microsoft, though.  It
wouldn't be the first time they haven't stuck to
established specs before.

> Even if I'd add a ^M to each line, IE would
> still break.

Did you bother actually trying it yet?

Gambit