[icq-devel] AOL on the path of war ?!?!

Michael Medin mickem at medin.nu
Mon Sep 23 11:25:04 CEST 2002

> On Mon, 23 Sep 2002, Michael Medin wrote:
>
> > The letter is only bitching me about the name I use (MyCQ)
> but I think
> > it might represent a turn in AOL:s stand in regards to "pirate"
> > clients,
>
> Hmm.  They aren't Fox, Kintner, Plotkin & Kahn.  Who are they then? :}
>
> That said, they don't seem to be complaining about the
> existence of your client, just the name.  Making cleanroom
> implementations of software that is compatible with arbitrary
> systems is still expressly permitted by law in most
> countries, even the US.
>
> > Anyone who know "legal english" feel free to recomend what
> I shopuld
> > do about it...
>
> Companies must aggressively defend trademarks.  Anything that
> is too similar will have to be pursued, otherwise they run
> the risk of losing the trademark protection.  They aren't
> attacking you so much as they are defending themselves
> against the risk of another corporation making a program,
> calling it ICQ and then pointing at you as an example of AOL
> not defending the trademark.

Yes, as I said they seem to be interest in the name, but as I also said
this software is years and years old, and I hardly think somone is still
using it (at the time it was a lot more widly known)

Also the frasing of: "... Looking into the propriety of your
software..." makes me think that perhaps there is more to come.
As I read it they say: "As for no we complain about the name, but a full
legal investigation is at hand so be warned" but I don't realy know
about legal english, not beeing a native speaker myself.

// MickeM