[icq-devel] AOL on the path of war ?!?!

William T Wilson fluffy at snurgle.org
Mon Sep 23 10:56:35 CEST 2002

On Mon, 23 Sep 2002, Michael Medin wrote:

> The letter is only bitching me about the name I use (MyCQ) but I think
> it might represent a turn in AOL:s stand in regards to "pirate" clients,

Hmm.  They aren't Fox, Kintner, Plotkin & Kahn.  Who are they then? :}

That said, they don't seem to be complaining about the existence of your
client, just the name.  Making cleanroom implementations of software that
is compatible with arbitrary systems is still expressly permitted by law
in most countries, even the US.

> Anyone who know "legal english" feel free to recomend what I shopuld
> do about it...

Companies must aggressively defend trademarks.  Anything that is too
similar will have to be pursued, otherwise they run the risk of losing the
trademark protection.  They aren't attacking you so much as they are
defending themselves against the risk of another corporation making a
program, calling it ICQ and then pointing at you as an example of AOL not
defending the trademark.

If you change the name of your client, they will probably be satisfied.