[icq-devel] Newcomer

Barnaby Gray bee at pickle.me.uk
Sat Nov 30 13:07:41 CET 2002

I used to have this problem because of the masqueraded dial-up set-up
we had. A linux box did the masquerading, and the dial-up connection
would get disconnected every 2 hours - but it still left the ppp0
interface up, so the masqueraded connections were still there, and
your TCP connection to the server would still send fine. It'd be a
long delay before it actually really timed out because of not getting
any ack's back, but the send would work without errors in the meantime
(with the TCP send buffers steadily increasing). Took me quite a while
to figure this out.. the solution: we got cable :-)

Barnaby