[icq-devel] Clone recognition.

Rüdiger Kuhlmann icq-list-oWUpAQCWC2r4 at ruediger-kuhlmann.de
Sat Nov 9 02:06:34 CET 2002

>--[Barnaby Gray]--<bee at pickle.me.uk>
> Ah.. but if you knew mutt, then you'd also know that it depends on the
> particular text editor you are using. And mine doesn't seem to cope
> with those kind of chars.. apologies, but as I said it wasn't my
> fault!

That's true. But the attribution line was in your editor as well. Wierd...

> > > Ok fair enough. Just wanted to clear up the GPL issue, for those not
> > > aware.
> > I wouldn't have a problem with copying the code if it would be proper
> > attributed. Btw that guy copied your complete libicq2000 *marked as his
> > copyright*. He did some changes, though (e.g. integrating my client
> > detection code).
> Right! This means WAR!

;-)

> Seriously though, I think this guy should answer up to the allegations
> - is he on the list?

Somehow I doubt it.

> I'd be all for taking action, if there's
> something effective we can do against thieves like these..

Probably not. At least not legally; he's in Russia. Release critical bugs to
distributions could at least keep it from getting there.

I filed a bug on sourceforget against that. He didn't sent me any personal
message about it, but at least he wrote my name into the file. The file
header, though, still reads (only) his name. And the code he copied was
GPL2. His file claims to be GPL>=2. That's a tad different...

Anyway, if you want to add client detection code to licqicq2000, feel free
to copy the code from mICQ for that and use it under the terms of GPL>=2 (or
whatever libicq2000 currently is). Or look at how sim integrated it (having
a look at his code might be a good idea anyway to check what exactly he
copied) and use that. But don't break it as that guy did (and forget about
decimal mICQ versioning, that's obsolete). I'd still be happy about any
attribution line, oh, and did I mention that integrating your doc into my
doc still would be nice? :-)

Yours, Rüdiger.

--
         100 DM =  51  € 13 ¢.