[icq-devel] Why won't my cookie ever work for me????

Barnaby Gray bgrg2 at cam.ac.uk
Sat Mar 23 12:44:48 CET 2002

On Fri, Mar 22, 2002 at 03:33:37PM -0800, Remy Lebeau wrote:
> What I posted is a straight hex-dump of all data coming in or going out of
> my program.  What you see is what is actually being sent.  My code dumps
> everything as-is to the file I posted, none of it is modified (except when I
> manually XX'ed out my password before posting it here).

Well my point is, it wasn't as is.. you were swapping the bytes round
in the header from the server. Aside from this seeming a bit of a
dodgy way of parsing a packet (which I won't go into here), when you
are hunting down a bug you need to be absolutely sure your debugging
output is truly what is happening, otherwise the bug could be just as
well be in your outputting code. So: either put your dumping code as
close as going out to the wire as you can, or better still use an
independent tool such as tcpdump to see what is happening, and be
entirely sure that what you expect to happen, really is.

Sorry for the rant, but really I can't see anything else wrong, and
once you have eliminated all the obvious possibilities, then it's
either going to be something more blatantly obvious, or something
hideously obscure (lets hope it's the former not the latter).

Barnaby