[icq-devel] A probably valid way to implement protocol extensions.

E Filippov joe at idisys.iae.nsk.su
Fri Mar 22 19:58:27 CET 2002

I know that one can create & send a strange-msg packet (I tried, this
works).  Such a packet that is semi-ignored by official client.

One could then add some TLVs with special T field (e.g. T=0xCAFE) to that
packet.  I guess, these TLVs will be ignored by official clients.

And more: in these TLVs, one can embed one's own extensions of the protocol.
E.g. one can transmit a client version, or one can implement a "your party
is responding" feature (like one in MSN messenger & in IBM Sametime
messenger).

I will not do this, but interested ones can try.