[icq-devel] Type-1 messages

Zoe Smale skyerat at hotmail.com
Sat Feb 9 11:08:33 CET 2002

I noticed something interesting today which looks like it may effect many
ICQ clones. I use Trillian and a friend of mine uses &RQ and in the latest
release of Trillian I can send messages to him, but he can't send anything
to me.

I believe the problem is caused by a bug in Trillian which corrupts its SNAC
2/4 packet so that the server is never correctly informed of it's capability
list and thus isn't aware that it supports type-2 messages.

When communicating with a regular ICQ client this isn't a problem because
ICQ checks a recipient's capabilities before sending a message and will send
type-1 messages where appropriate. However, &RQ (and assumedly many other
clones) always assume type-2 message support and when they attempt to send
such a message the ICQ server doesn't pass it on and instead returns an
error (SNAC 4/1 error 9).

I'm hoping at some stage Trillian will fix their SNAC 2/4 bug and this
problem will go away, but it would probably be a good idea for everyone to
add type-1 message support anyway.

Incidently I have some more info on the format of type-1 messages which I'll
try and post later if I get a chance.

Regards
Zoe