[icq-devel] blocking clones & some new SNACs

Zoe Smale skyerat at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 8 19:37:30 CET 2002

Those of you that use Trillian may have noticed that AOL disabled their AIM
access again recently. In response Trillian released a new version yesterday
and then had to release a patch to that version today when AOL blocked them
yet again. It looks like it's going to be an ongoing battle.

So far they haven't seem too concerned about blocking ICQ clones though, but
I thought it might be a good idea to prepare for the future and look at some
of the SNACs that they might use to detect clones.

So far I've only covered family 1. The commands that I thought might need to
be supported are the Pause/Resume SNACs (1/A, 1/B and 1/C), the Migration
Notification SNAC (1/12) and the MD5 Digest SNACs (1/1F and 1/20).

I've seen some of these mentioned in Adam Fritzler's AIM docs, but I haven't
actually seen any of them documented anywhere. However, I'm not going to
waste my time going into all the details here if nobody else thinks they're
worth bothering about. So, if you want more info let me know and I'll post
something here. Otherwise I'll just shut up for a while until I find
something else of interest.

Regards
- Zoe