[icq-devel] direct connections behaviour when using a proxy

Mark van Cuijk webmaster at phedny.zzn.com
Wed Dec 11 19:38:15 CET 2002

Hi,

Yes, I do understand what's going on. I'll describe one detail a little more.
Since ICQ is configured to connect throught a proxy server, it will not only use this proxy for connections to the ICQ network, but also for direct connections. Not only
outbound (which are functioning actually the same as a connections to the network), but also inbound, in which case it asks the proxy to open a port.

So actually, it's the proxy which listens for connections and not the ICQ client.

Take this with a pinch of salt, ICQ might be listening on some port, but it's not expecting you on it, so it refuses to speak to you. It's expecting the connection via the
proxy...

- Mark