Protocol Databases (was Re: [icq-devel] Offline messages info)

Zoe Smale skyerat at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 2 21:23:09 CET 2002

I think you've missed my point. I didn't mean it was impossible to do with a
database in general. Just that it was impossible (or at least very
difficult) to do with the existing databases.

> > How do you explain to the database the sequence
> > of packet exchanges that take place to achieve a
> > specific function in the protocol?
>
> Set asside a separate table with a list of
> cross-references to the existing records for each
> individual packet.

Is there such a table in the existing databases, and is there any way for
anyone to write to it?

> > How do you explain to the database that you're
> > pretty sure that a certain item means something,
> > but you're not positive?
>
> Include extra fields for comments and such.

I think there probably are comment fields of some sort in the existing
databases, so this at least is technically possible. But imagine I were to
add some new information with a comment about my uncertainty. Do you think
anyone would even notice? What if I posted the same data to the list and
somebody on the list knew for a fact that I was wrong or could confirm that
I was right. See the difference?

> > How do you explain to the database, that SNACs
> > 01/0F, 01/10, 02/06, 02/14, 03/0B, 03/0C and 04/07
> > all share the same user info structure?
>
> Again, cross-references, with maybe some server-side
> scripting to pre-read the database record and resolve
> the cross-references before sending the final data to
> the browser.

Once again, does such a structure exist in any of the current databases that
other people can access? If it does, I certainly didn't see any way to do
it. That was the main reason I never bothered adding any of my information
to the databases.

Regards
Zoe