[icq-devel] Questions

Rüdiger Kuhlmann icq-list-oWUpAQCWC2r4 at ruediger-kuhlmann.de
Wed Aug 7 14:13:12 CEST 2002

>--[Q]--<q at portalpcs.com>

>    Hey everyone :)

Hi "Q",

you might consider using a real name and posting plain text instead of HTML.

>    I'm just starting out (relatively speaking) trying to work with the
>    ICQ protocol, and thanks to two of the most legible open-source
>    projects around & stricq.com I'm beginning to figure out how things
>    work.

Ehem - the most current protocol database is here:

    http://www.stud.uni-karlsruhe.de/~uck4/ICQ/

it is much more complete, up 24h (stricq.com is down right now), and has
information about direct connections (including v6 file transfer).

>    hand. I've read through alot of the digests from icq-devel, and have
>    the source for miranda and ysm (thanks rad2k!) on hand. They've been
>    helpful, but nobody's source code is entirely legible to every other
>    coder on earth, so, oh well :)

Try mICQ.

>    My first question ... is there any circumstance where something isn't
>    converted into network notation before being sent in a packet? As in

As in what? Yes, if the datatype is e.g. "WORD", it is network order (big
endian). Long endian is marked e.g. "WORD.L". SNAC(21,2) and SNAC(21,3) (or
SNAC(0x15,0x2) and SNAC(0x15,0x3 if you prefer) are communication with the
old server and contain long endian stuff. Strings are often stored as LNTS,
that is little endian (word -)length prepended null-termindated string. So
you need to look into the documentation and/or check the examples.

>    I send the cookie no problems, and then receive the SRV_FAMILIES
>    packet. Now, this is rather interesting because what I get seems to be
>    a tiny bit different to what is documented everywhere - I assumed this
>    was just the way the server worked and ignored it, and went into
>    writing up the response packet.

Strange.

>    It disconnects me the moment it receives my data. I've double-checked
>    everything that I can think of it, but it keeps doing it.

Maybe post what it actually sends? (or the complete sequence of packets
send/received)

>    It'd disconnect me if my sequence was incorrect, right?

Possibly, but it's not overly critical.

>    Anyway, thanks to all of you who document your efforts or just make it
>    open-source :) You all rock.

Thanks. (Though I guess you didn't think of me)

Yours, Rüdiger.

--
         100 DM sind  51 €  13 ¢.
         100 €  sind 195 DM 58 pf.