[icq-devel] question on direct connections

Barnaby Gray bgrg2 at cam.ac.uk
Sat Apr 27 19:46:05 CEST 2002

On Sat, Apr 27, 2002 at 02:09:11PM -0300, rad2k wrote:
> hey guys,
>
> 	I've tried everywhere for a research on direct connections between clients and found
> nothing more than Massimo's packet descriptions. I would need to know -how- clients
> connect with each other, im connecting to another client's tcp binded port allright but once
> i send a common FLAP/SNAC (instead of sending it to the server socket, i send it to the client)
> i get disconnected.

Communication between clients isn't done using FLAPs/SNACs, that part
of icq is still very similar to the old protocol. The handshake is
almost exactly the same, except there is an extra byte on the start of
packets and there is an extra exchange (so there are 3 exchanges). I
don't have anything solid written down, but you're welcome to take a
look at the sources for libicq2000 (it's in DirectClient.cpp you want
to look). It's also almost the same pathetic (and broken) 'encryption'
that is applied.

Barnaby