[icq-devel] ICQ Protocol Documentation Stategies

Barnaby Gray bgrg2 at cam.ac.uk
Fri Apr 19 16:42:45 CEST 2002

On Thu, Apr 18, 2002 at 09:14:01PM -0400, Douglas McLaughlin wrote:
> Yes, I run the website on my own home computer.  It's just fun!

Good.. but if it's going to be a central resource for the icq
community we should consider finding a dedicated hosting facility. I
know I could put it on the sourceforge space libicq2000 has, but
that's PHP (yuck!) and wouldn't offer any kind of SQL database
functionality that would be kind of essential.

> The ICQ protocol documentation is run by ColdFusion using an M$ Access
> database.  The v8 protocol webpages are 100% editable by anyone.  I'm might
> come along behind someone and clean text, reformat, etc.  But anyone can do
> the same.

There were several limitations I noticed - where part of a packet has
been wrongly split up, and there seemed no way to delete one of fields
and insert two in it's place. It's a very good idea though having it
easily editable and amendable by the public.

Cheers,

Barnaby