[icq-devel] ICQ Protocol Documentation Stategies

Douglas McLaughlin stricq at owlnet.net
Fri Apr 19 03:14:01 CEST 2002

At 08:00 PM 4/18/2002, you wrote:

>On Thu, Apr 18, 2002 at 04:26:25PM +0000, rad2k at mail.ru wrote:
> > > Cool, that's good work. It'd be good to get some docs back into the
> > > community maybe on the stricq site or something as implementations
> > > alone aren't the ideal way of spreading the knowledge.
> >
> > Indeed. Still, even if a programmer is really willing to spread the
> > knowledge, its a hard and imperfect ideal to document everything
> > (from a programmer's point of view.)
>
>It is hard, but I don't see that as any reason to not positively
>encourage it, the hardest ideals are the most beneficial.
>
> > I don't mean to harm anyone, but the 'stricq' site did need some
> > corrections when i very first browsed it and, at least for me,
> > it's down pretty often.
>
>Sure.. I think it's run on someones own machine (sorry I can't
>remember your name.. know you are on this list), I think some CGI
>driven thing like this that can easily be updated and worked on by the
>community at large would be a good way of pooling resources.. I used
>to be a dab-hand at perl & SQL driven web stuff so would have a go if
>I had the time..

Yes, I run the website on my own home computer.  It's just fun!  And I get
good marks on job interviews when I mention that I run my own
website.  WinXP has taken to crashing a lot lately, and I was down for a
couple weeks with hardware problems, and then I caused my site to get
flooded with downloads when I put some 300+ MB mpg's online.  But most of
all that is past now.  Although, the v8 protocol pages are unreachable when
I boot into AmigaOS using Amithlon.  I do all my STRICQ development using
Amithlon.  Its the fastest Amiga I own.  :-)

The ICQ protocol documentation is run by ColdFusion using an M$ Access
database.  The v8 protocol webpages are 100% editable by anyone.  I'm might
come along behind someone and clean text, reformat, etc.  But anyone can do
the same.

Doug

--
Douglas F. McLaughlin      [Chancellor's List - Spring/Fall 2001,
STR Programming Services    University of North Carolina - Pembroke]
stricq at owlnet.net
http://www.stricq.com/     { while(!sleep) sheep++; }
Team Amiga                 http://www.amiga.com/