[icq-devel] libicq2000 0.3.0 released

Barnaby Gray bgrg2 at cam.ac.uk
Thu Apr 18 16:11:52 CEST 2002

On Thu, Apr 18, 2002 at 03:57:56PM +0200, Julian Mayer wrote:
> > Thanks!  It'll be good to have useable C library around again - I know
> > there are a lot more C programmers out there than C++ programmers
> > that'd like a library to use too. Still I think having the choice of
> > both is definitely a benefit rather than duplication. My C++ library
> > seems to be a popular choice for Mac OS X clients (surprisingly - I
> > would have never guessed), as all their stuff is objective C which
> > interfaces nicely with C++ apparently.
>
> Nope, in fact it does NOT ... Until half an year ago it wasn't even possible
> to mix C++ and Obj-C.
> I believe that your library is used so often for MacOSX client is just
> because its (one of the?) only icqv7 library ATM.

Ok.. my mistake, I've never touched a Mac so I was just going on
heresay. Still doesn't particularly explain why many more MacOSX
clients have gone for the library and so few linux/bsd clients
have.. I guess it's a case of the proportion of C programmers and the
fact that many clients have been around for a while, are written in C,
and so have an inertia to using libraries in other languages, whereas
the MacOSX clients are new and don't have this heritage.

Barnaby