[icq-devel] V7 Invisible Mode

Daniel Tan datan at seas.upenn.edu
Tue Nov 27 08:28:40 CET 2001

hi,
I just checked: icq sends snac (9,5) before sending snac(1, 1e)
here's the sequence of events:
1. A sends snac (9,5)
 -> sets visible list. if visible list empty, all clients will
no longer see the sender
2. B receives snac (3,C)
 -> offgoing buddy.
3. A sends snac (1, 1E)
 -> changes status to invisible. All clients on visible list
will see him as invisible.

the way I conclude is that for v7, changing status to invisible
using snac (1, 1e) is *not* the trigger for going offline
on other clients. the trigger is setting your visible list.
if you think about it, when you set your visible list, this has
the same effect has appearing offline to users not on your
visible list. how going invisible is implemented in v7 (as compared
to v5, when going invisible was the trigger for going offline),
is that changing status to "invisible" is treated exactly like a normal
status change (ie. to N/A or Away). Thus, all clients who normally
would receive your status will receive your "invisible" status
if they are on your visible list. Thus, if you do not send a
visible list, icq server will assume by default that you want
to send your status change to all clients, and thus all clients
will see you as invisible (since this is just another status).

thus, similarly, when you want to go back online, the real
trigger is when you send your "invisible list".
here, the order is reversed:
1. A sends snac (1, 1e): change status to visible.
2. A sends snac (9, 7): set invisible list
3. B receives snac (3, b): oncoming buddy
(after server receives snac (1,1e))

i believe, if i'm not wrong, that if you reverse the order (say
going to invisible mode you send your status before sending your
invisible list), then all clients will first see you switch to
invisible mode, then see you go offline.
similarly, when going back to visible mode, if order is reversed,
(ie you send invisible list first), then clients will see you
as invisible then going online (so I made a mistake abt this).

btw, your notes are very helpful...