[icq-devel] v5 sending offline messages

William T Wilson fluffy at snurgle.org
Tue Dec 18 23:47:41 CET 2001

On Tue, 18 Dec 2001, Alex Demchenko wrote:

>   Can anyone confirm that messages sent (using V5 proto) through server
>   causes some problems. Only the first message is arrived, others are

That is correct.  Actually I can usually send two or sometimes three
before it starts dropping, the first always gets through.

Logging off and on does not seem to help but with time you can send
another message.  I found that waiting about half an hour makes it
possible to send another message.  Generally, V5 is not useful for
ordinary communication any more.  It is not just a clone problem, the
official 1999b client doesn't work either.

Consensus seems to be that AOL has broken the V5 server on purpose in
order to get people to switch to V7 (or, more likely, to get them to
switch to the 2000b/2001 client so AOL can show them advertising, or to
switch to AIM).

Since it hasn't worked right for over a month this seems like a reasonable
conclusion as they have had more than enough time to fix it if it were an
accident.